Sunday, November 14, 2004

Movie Weekend

A sle(ewwww) of bad movies. The reviews are going to be short and painless


Dawn of the Dead: The movie is really an hour and a half long game played by six people in a mall attacked by undead people. Two rules - if you get bitten you will be an undead person; if you are undead, the only way you are dead is by being shot in the head. That's it. That's the whole point of the movie. Do not spend money on this.

Garfield: Doesn't even come close to the animations that are done today. This movie would have been a perfect hit when Black Stallion was released about 20 years ago. The story line is dull, predictable and not-funny. Garfield's animatronics are funny at time and lame for the most part. Does not come close to Shrek quality - the benchmark that I use to measure animations.


Vaastu Shastra: Indian horror flick. It had it's horror moments but at the end you're left wondering what was the whole point of the movie and more than that, why was it named this way. This had nothing to do with VaastuShastra except for the first two minutes. The rest was just a better version of Dawn of the Dead. My desperate quest for a good horror movie (The Ring style) continues..


Ishq Vishq Pyar Vyar: So apparently everyone in Indian colleges now wears pink, orange or blue and fluorescent counterparts of those colors. The movie is funny but that's where it ends. There's no point. It's a love triangle. For non-Indians this may come as news but we Indians like triangles in our movies. It's our favorite geometrical shape and suits our movies very well. Some movies have more characters and then we choose a better suited shape such as a hexagon or an octagon. The moot point behind choosing multi-point shapes in Indian movies is that the director is banking heavily on the hope that one of the actors or actresses assigned to these end points will carry the movie to success. This one has a happy ending too but you know that after going through half the movie.


So now, I have to look for a good movie to offset the bad horror ones I"ve seen and the others as well. Any recommendations?

6 Comments:

Blogger Nitin Jain said...

We saw "Phir Milenge" on video. It was an Indian attempt at Tom Hank's Philadelphia. I liked the idea of a movie on the social stigma from HIV in India. Although, it was nothing great, "ek baar dekhi jaa sakti hai" - just for the idea.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Nitin Jain said...

Hi everyone,
These are my first comments, although I have been a part of the blog since a long time and have always taken the time to read it. For those who do not know me, I am Nidhi's brother.

Since, most people on this list are from Ohio and I now live in New England, I must say that the 2004 Presidential elections were a big disappointment in this region (me included). Although, I am not a great fan of John Kerry, re-electing Bush sent out a bad message to the world and the people of United States. It was a mandate for his reckless policies in Iraq. The polls show that many people (20%) voted on moral values....I don't seem to quite understand that - since they cannot endorse someone who lied this country into a war. Isn't that a moral value? Just trying to get some perspectives on this issue but no disrespect to anyone who endorses Bush. I guess they can just call us "losers." I hope Ohio will do better next time!!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Puppetainer said...

Go out and see The Incredibles I swear you won't regret it. Both of you will love it. And as an advance teaser, I'll tell you now that Edna is my favorite character.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Sheeshers said...

Hey I already saw the Incredibles last weekend. It was good .. but it didn't match Monsters Inc or Shrek in terms of how original the storyline was. The stuff that they showed in Incredibles has been done before a.k.a. superheroes save the day ... but yeah, all that said, it was a great movie.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tip No. 478 for a Saner Movie Experience - Avoid movies with titles like -- of the Dead (honestly, what did you expect)!

Tip No. 2 - Always make sure there's a good-looking actor/actress in there - even if the movie sucks, there's always something to smile and sigh about later!!

On that note, I saw 'After the Sunset', with the amazing Pierce Brosnan and Salma Hayek - racy, swift and smart movie. Beautiful people, beautiful scenary.
Hey, I'm still smiling.

- synapse

2:54 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Prodigious blog. Loved it so much I went to it
again! Just go online and search for blogs that are
worth the value as yours.
I hope you can look through my circuit city outlet blog.

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home