Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Slowly up and then quickly down

You know how you hear about movie stars and politicians who's reputation dips overnight - a reputation that they spent years earning. Well apparently, that is not restricted to those big guys alone.

Happened to me yesterday. I usually don't mess up real bad at work and am known to have a high quality of software that I deliver. Well yesterday, I wasn't exactly that. In fact I was nowhere close to that. I delivered the most shitty installation package to QA that I have EVER made. Nothing that was working before, worked in this package, let alone new things that were packaged.

And it didn't take long for people to start off jokingly and then spend the entire day making snide remarks about the quality of the package and how I might be here all night blah blah blah. Someone asked me what my schedule is between now and December 21st when the customer deliverable is due. And I said, "Well I plan on continuing to package" ...meaning that I will create more packages with more stuff for the customer. That comment was appended by someone with the words, "... until you get it right?". Now add those two lines together and you've got a not so nice comment about your abilities.

So like I said, I spent three years creating a reputation of being a quality developer. And I had to spend eight hours to ruin it for the most part. Next time I make a package, believe me it is going to be taken very cautiously because of this one f*** up as opposed to people looking at what I've developed so far.

What am I whining about? I still get paid, don't I ? Isn't that why I really should be showing up at my job as opposed to wanting to be good in what I do?

3 Comments:

Blogger jody said...

Well the pay check is a nice bonus to a hard work week. But above the money and fame, pride and personal satisfaction is what keeps you good at what you do.

Horoscopes are something i believe in... although i didn't get lucky last night like it said. I just need to be a tad bit more frisky i guess.

enjoy your evening!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Puppetainer said...

I assure you your rep is not shot. It may feel like it for a bit, but we've all made the mistake-that-everyone-noticed at least once. The fact that it took you three years, is an example of the good work you do.

And lets face it, though most of the folks we work with are pretty cool, we work in an environment where some folks, just don't know when to stop "joking." And just about everyone could be a little more supportive, after all everyones work will eventually affect someone else here.

Don't worry about it, it'll blow over soon enough.

8:21 AM  
Blogger jody said...

I'm not as together as you think i am. email me. jodygirl1126@yahoo.com i'll fill ya in!!

~jody

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home