Thursday, January 13, 2005

From not knowing ... to knowing Poker

About a year ago, I went to my first even Poker game. It was a bunch of office folks playing together. We had a great crowd initially - about 14 people. We started playing once every two weeks in an unused section of an old office building. I figured the best way to learn without completely going in the red is to start dealing. Another reason is that I totally suck at card games. So for people like me, don't just sit on the outside and watch - go ahead and offer to deal. You will be amazed at how much the players will appreciate it because that way they get to concentrate on their game without working about playing and dealing at the same time. Within a few rounds you will know what's going on.

That approach worked very nicely for me. I became the official poker dealer. The crowds eventually leveled off to about 7 people on any given poker night. Slowly but surely, my interest in the game grew. I am completely anti-gambling. I always thought of it as money that I might as well just burn in smoke in 20 seconds.

But something different happened a couple of weeks ago. I took Noddy to play poker because she hadn't played and wanted to learn. Now, she's a card game fanatic....you can get her to play card games forever. So naturally, unlike me, she wanted to actually play. We put 20 bucks in and got her going. Long story short - we played for about 4 hours and we came back 10 dollars in the red. But we had an amazing amount of fun that I never have had by just dealing. That sparked such big interest in the game for me that today, I finally bought my VERY OWN set of poker chips, complete with dice , two packs of cards and an aluminum case. Poker is definitely addictive and I plan on staying on the right side of that addiction.

The set was bought off of ebay and you can see that listing here. I think this is great because it's been a really long time since I spoilt myself with something like this. I don't know how frequently I'd be using it because every third person coming to our bi-weekly poker nights owns a set. So it's not like I'm going to have to take it everytime. I'm guessing I'd have to get cracking on organizing some poker nights around here. Some people are hesitant to play with money - but you get very careless and rash when it's not real money because you don't need to play accurately. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep you informed.

Anyone else into poker-ing in my blogging world?

3 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

Hey Sheeshers,

Not much of a Poker player, learned my lesson back in Boy Scouts. Lost a ton of matchsticks (we used those for poker chips). But I love watching the World Series of Poker. I think I have more fun watching the players than I do playing the game myself.

I know what you mean about gear, though. I’m into chess (which has similar addictive potential), and even at a get together where you need a set for each pair of people, when everyone brings their own stuff, I don't get to break out my little prize very often. I still bring it as often as I play, though.

Thanks for posting on my weblog the other day, by the way. Made my night. FYI, you’re on my “daily reads” now.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Christmas shopping for males was easy this year. Poker sets for all. They were easy to find because they were in EVERY store.

Texas Holdem is real popular.

Once in awhile the guys and I get together for a poker game. Like you, we can play for hours and only lose $10 or $20. There is one group that I played with where the stakes were higher. I doubt if I'll play with that group for awhile.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Puppetainer said...

My parents tought me to play poker when I was about 3. They figured it would ba a great way to teach me how to count.

As for games, I fing that I'm much more lured into stuff from Cheapass Games thanks to Chris. If you get bored of following the same rules, spend 5 bucks and get a new game.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home