Friday, February 11, 2005

Bride and Prejudice what???

And here we go again...the Indian newspapers heralded this as the march of Bollywood into Hollywood. Aishwarya Rai's Bride and Prejudice was going to sound the bugle and apparently, overnight or so, Indian cinema was going to turn Hollywood into the song and dance circus that most of our Indian movies are.

Well Bride and Prejudice has been released. I don't see people falling over each other and standing in long lines here in the US to go see this movie. I also don't see this movie opening at thousands of theaters around here. The movie has a smaller opening than My Big Fat Greek Wedding which had a lead actress Nia Vardalos who is relatively unknown and definitely not beauty queen material. Yet this one has Aishwarya and was supposed to be a big deal. I'm sure the movie had a good worldwide opening but the Indian media is never too hesitant to run off like a stallion and make news out of what is really NOT news. Aishwarya Rai was on Conan O Brien or Dave Letterman or something like that. Hmm...and we were expecting CNN to report this??? Uh...nope. Not happening. Nobody in my office has so far come to me and thanked my country for creating a lady so breathtakingly beautiful that they are floored.

Get real and read this review of the movie on CNN which is a liberal and far more multicultural and tolerant media outlet than some of the others out here in the US.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think CNN was being kind - the movie is alot worse than described. I was really disappointed because I love the Jane Austin original, and the Beckham movie.
When will they learn, if you cant do justice to a classic, dont touch it.

-Synapse

12:13 PM  
Blogger Puppetainer said...

Well, I for one would like to thank your country for creating a lady so breathtakingly beautiful that I am floored.

But I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm planning to try and catch it before it goes to video, though the previews I've seen aren't all that promising.

Have you seen it yet?

2:12 PM  
Blogger Sheeshers said...

I haven't seen it and don't plan on seeing it unless someone makes me drink a lot and in a delirious state I end up spending $2.00 at the Dollar Saver Cinemas. It will get there real soon.

I didn't play any role whatsoever in creating/embellishing/decorating/marketing the beautiful lady so I'll pass on your compliments to whoever did...if I ever meet them. :-)

3:11 PM  
Blogger Archana said...

The Indian media always creates a hype over something...dont they?I also read that Ash would be acting in a James Bond adventure but the news died down. Even if she gets a pet cat that would make headlines in the newspapers....

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home