Sunday, June 19, 2005

Firefighting @ work

Wow, what a week this has been. Work was hectic and I was trying to extinguish quite a few fires. Thursday and Friday ended up as "emergency" days when lots had to be done for various customer deadlines and it was like digging in there and helping out others who were working on projects that weren't mine. That's what shows mettle ... your ability to multitask and help out on all projects when it really counts. It's very satisfying when you get work done like that.

On another very different note, Shama, who is the wife of a friend of mine had more good news. This lady is proving very exceptional in utilizing her abilities in this land of opportunities. She's never been out of India before. She came to this unknown and alient country not eight months ago as a housewife and this week she's going on professional training to Carnegie Mellon University. That's like zero to sixty in no time. Her bachelors degree education has something to do with something (don't ask me details!!). Within these few months, she's managed to get admitted to Wright State here, get a fellowship with research grant and now this research assistantship with training at Carnegie Mellon University. So kudos to her!!

Anyway, back @ home I helped my neighbors who are trying to build a deck. It's a strange predicament. They are building their decks by themselves because labor prices are over-inflated and they don't want to pay those rates. They are saving at least four grand per deck by building it themselves. That's quite a lot of money. However, I saw them go through hell to get the groundwork done. I also four hours yesterday and today mixing and pouring concrete. Those 80lb bags don't feel light at all. So now I'm thinking ... hmm should I build my deck (with help from these guys) or should I just fork out the extra money (4 grand or so) and get it made? My neighbors will help me out for sure but it's a LOT of work and I really am not sure if I want to subject myself to it. See this is where my previous post about the barter system would be well worth it. I could provide software consulting services worth four grand and someone would just build my deck. How convenient would that be. Bloggers, do y'all have any suggestions on what route I should go with this deck thang?

4 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Okay, MY point of view on the deck, for what it's worth, is that if you put up the money and have someone else do it, it simply won't mean as much to you as if you put your own sweat into it. How wonderful to be able to sit out on the deck at sunset with friends, sipping coffee (or beer), and swapping stories about the process of "the project", and feeling proud that you have accomplished something artistic, Maybe not in the way one would VIEW art, but, all the same, YOUR art. I get tired of hearing people talk about, "Well, I had *blah-blah* company come and do this for me and it cost *blah-blah*". I am more impressed by hearing, "I saved two thousand dollars by doing it myself, and was able to do it MY way." (But...I'm an artist...so I'm biased).

4:11 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Oh, I forgot. Tell your friend, congratulations on her School thingamajiggy, (Masha'Allah), and much success for the future in America.

4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could put up an ad at WSU or UD requesting man-power and know-how and have students help out and you can direct the project. Sometimes there are companies that utilise student summer interns to do these jobs an it works out cheaper. My uncle is getting his house painted by a company that trains interns to complete home exterior painting, and they bring in recommendations from previous jobs well done.

Good luck! Keep us updated!
~Synapse

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Ami said...

Nothing like paying someone to do it if you have the cash - there are a lot of other things you can do around it yourself (tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.)

You have to maintain a deck, so there'll be annual/biennial work on it for you to do anyway.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home