Friday, June 24, 2005

I don't own a Macintosh 'yet' because...

The Mac OS is one of the most stable operating systems out there and this is "the" machine for multimedia development. You will often find advertising agencies, animation creators and other such graphic development houses using Macs for their work. A few years ago the designs were revised to make the Mac more aesthetically appealing and jazzy. It does look breath-taking. Go to www.apple.com to check it out.

My problem is it still continues to be unaffordable for me in comparison to the service it provides. I am a software developer who develops server solutions on Microsoft development platform. You can see why this isn't doable on a Macintosh. I need to have something that can work on a Microsoft Operating system with an Intel chip. At home, I use my machine mostly for browsing, documentation and miscellaneous tasks which might include some hobby software development.

So if you ignore the software development side, I suppose I could use a Mac at home. But just look at the portability issue and the cost of operation. Today, I use a laptop that gets used at home, gets into my car in the morning and half an hour later, becomes my work machine for the next eight or nine hours. I cannot do that with a Mac thus rendering it a machine that can only be used exclusively at home. That's where I run into a disproportional usage vs cost calculation.


Things are changing though. With Apple's move to include an Intel chip base, it shall become more commoditized and that is always going to bring value down in a free market. Once it's on an Intel chip base, companies that develop software or hardware peripherals for the Mac OS will be able to do so more cheaply than today, which means it will actually be competing with a Windows machine when you go to buy a new laptop at Circuit City a few years from now!!


The Mac Mini is beautiful and affordable but again the same issue - I need portability. I need it to be my work machine or at least in some way usable at work. Currently, that's not the case. If you're not in the software development profession, a Mac Mini might actually be a reasonable choice as a home computer for common tasks.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Naughtomaton said...

I have every intention of replacing my laptop with a Powerbook. If work wants me to develop faster, they can provide me with the machine to do it :)

9:12 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Man, I'm so looking forward to the Macintels. On the podcast "The Maccast" yesterday they were talking about how you'll be able to have triple boot machines---Mac, Windows and Linux. That will rock! If for not other reason than just to say you can!

Then you could boot your Powerbook to windows for work, and go back to OS X to play at home.

It's going to be a brave new world.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Sheeshers said...

Will, that's music to my ears that I could possibly do that some day

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home