Saturday, June 11, 2005

Support Local Folks

We went to the Yellow Springs Street Festival today. Yellow Springs is a community where the 70's have still not ended. It is an ultra-liberal town with small shops and handicrafts, artisans, musicians, singers and no real corporate presence whatsoever. That's what makes it a great place to visit once a while. We contemplated staying there but weren't sure if we could handle living in that community 24/7.

Anyway, the street fair is always awesome but the one thing I do like more than anything else is that everything is local. The street fair consists of local people trying to sell handmade wares. No mass produced goods are encouraged - the town folk frown upon it. I like this concept a lot because I support local artists, talents and people trying to make a living out of their abilities outside of the corporate environment. The street fair had hand-made wicker baskets, children of the age 2-10 selling hand made lemonade and local artists performing live on stage. These are people you will never hear about in the news or electronic media. And I support such people. The work that these people produce is expensive because their talents are worth it. If I could carve a statue out of wood, I'd be pretty proud too. Most of it is beyond my affordability but what I can afford, I do buy. For example, this time round I ended up buying an Audio CD of this local singer whose guitar playing abilities were outstanding. We also bought lemonade from cute little girls (probably 4 or 5 years old) with a tiny lemonade stand between cars parked on the grass.


Back home at around 5 pm, I did some more work in the yard. It's pretty strange - most men don't do that around my neighborhood. They are engaged in much bigger projects such as building a deck or creating something else to turn their homes into large fortresses of masculinity. I, on the other hand, can be found in my backyard being a lawn curator and taking care of the grass or plants. This is something that old people engage in, but I enjoy the peace and quiet. The birds and small animals that show up in the backyard are worth it. Of course, a rabbit tried to eat all the tomato and cucumber plants this evening and will probably be back for them tonight. We might not have those plants by tomorrow. We'll see.


So did y'all do anything special over the weekend.? BTW, I am now the proud owner of a big collection of Tom and Jerry cartoons. Am I insane? Naah....TJ is fun!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger HadesGigas said...

Little Bunny Fufu? Pop him on the head! It's cruel, but it's how the rhyme goes.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aah - the Yellow Springs Fair - I really miss visiting that. Did you guys get any funnel cake or candy floss? - that's why I look forward to fairs! I really enjoy the street musicians, specially little kids beating on plastic buckets making a very rhythmic din!
I caught 'Mr.and Mrs. Smith' this weekend - it was hi-tech, high-action engaging and good eye-candy!
-Synapse

12:00 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

I grew up in a town very similar to the one you've mentioned,(pop. 5000) and living in the BIIIG city just isn't quite the same thing.
Over the weekend, we worked, watched TV and slept.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Archana said...

Something like a 'mela' among the village folk in India. It seems like another world out there :)

6:22 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Exciting blog. The site out did itself and will be
back! I love surfing the internet for blogs that are
exactly like this blog.
Stop by and look at my circuit city gift card blog site.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home