Thursday, September 22, 2005

While Noddy was bed-ridden

My post here gives you some background on Noddy's current general state of health. She's still recovering from her fracture but can walk around and has been going to work for the past couple of days.

Anyhow, a couple of funny events are worth blogging about.

Noddy would get very bored at home when she was totally bedridden. So we decided to take her grocery shopping with me. Obviously she couldn't walk so we had to find a mechanised wheel chair. Now, Meijer (our grocery store) has such mechanized "shopping carts" for their customers with disabilities. These are essentially motorized wheel chairs operating on rechargeable batteries with a shopping cart attached to the front. There's a handle in front, a lever to go forward and a lever to go backward. Sounds fairly straightforward? Not when you get on it and try it. It's like riding bumper cars. You will never get the direction right and you will never go at the speed you want. Now imagine that we put poor little broken Noddy on this "ride" and made her drive it in a crowded grocery store. The results were hilarious. When making turns between aisles in the store with this thing, she would tend to set her broken foot down on the floor as you would do if you were riding a motorbike. And I was always like, "Don't do that...it's broken". The foot would promptly go up and we'd make an F-1 style turn....wheeeeeeeeeeee!!! right into the aisle and right into all those poor shoppers. The funniest part was when I was peering at something in the stationery section and I heard a loud thud behind me. I swung around to see if she was alright. She was fine, however, the thud was from her hitting one of their racks where they keep all the goodies. She was trying to maneouver this crazy thing and in that process, she thoroughly tested it for Frontal and Side Impact Crash Test Ratings by hitting merchandise racks in that store. She will be sending her results to the NHTSA which maintains such records on automobiles.

The second thing I learnt was this. We had a lot of food leftover from the babyshower we hosted 10 days ago. This has all stayed refrigerated since then and we've had some of it during the days when Noddy was totally immobile. When she could finally walk she decided to inspect the refrigerator. To my utter shock, she threw away almost 90% of it. My argument was that it has been safely stowed away in the fridge for this long and therefore is fine. The theory behind this argument was that if you take food and put it in the fridge, you bestow total and complete immortality upon it until you finish eating it. As long as the shield of frigid temperature surrounds food, nothing can happen to it. Either that or it has to really change colors dramatically for you to become cautious and throw it away hesitantly. Well apparently I was wrong on both counts as Noddy (the resident FDA inspector of my home) inspected each container and gave a yay/nay vote to it (mostly nay). So that was a good lesson that food in the fridge does have an expiration date no matter how many degrees above or below freezing it's stored.


Other than that, work continues to suck as usual and there's no more about it that I can blog.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha-ha! That was a hilarious account!!
I had tried to get my mom with her injured foot on one of those Mejer's carts, and she absolutely refused. She didnt get it- that once she had graced the cart with her 'legitimate disabled' status, she could always get off in the aisles, and I could whizz around - alas, it was not to be!
Oh, and on the fridge cleaning note - take heart...I usually wait till a completely new bio-system has taken root on the dish, and then I 'may' consider throwing it out...(to the great despair of my roomate!)
Good to hear Noddy's back in charge! :D

~Synapse

9:14 PM  
Blogger katiescarlet said...

I have to agree w/ Noddy on the fridge thing. I don't like stuff growing in there and I don't like washing the dish or bowl after something has been growing in it!!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

How funny! Hope Noddy gets better soon so she can better monitor your bad refrigerator habits!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Will said...

My wife does the same thing with the fridge. You've described it perfectly.

I think men are just built to tolorate food at more advanced levels of development.

Clothes and food the same--if you sniff them and don't want to run--it's good!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Mobility Aids Center said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a portable wheelchair ramps site/blog. It pretty much covers portable wheelchair ramps related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home